† in His grip

Just the musings of a guy trying to get it right. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

iThink iHave been assimilated...

So iFinally did it. On a whim, iDecided that iWould buy an iPod.
iHad a web design job that tossed me some extra cash so iTook the plunge.
It's neat, iGuess iHaven't figured out all the nifty benefits so far, but it makes me wonder...
Why did iBuy it?

Was it so iCould look cool? Was it so iCould be trendy?
My main thought was so iCould watch some movies on the plane to Catalyst Conference next week. If Chuck isn't sleeping on the plane, he'll be reading. Either way, iMight be bored. iCan only read for so long before iGet bored.

iSwore to myself iWould never buy one of these things. iThought they were a waste of money. iDidn't think iNeeded to listen to music or watch videos everywhere iWent.

Great... now I'm wondering... How many things do iDo just to fit in?
iBuy (at least iThink iBuy) trendy clothing, iListen to trendy music. iHave a trendy car.
Is there a line between "being trendy" and "selling out"?

I know there are scriptures that tell me to be "set apart".
But does that mean I have to turn my back on everything?

If so, why?
iThink God isn't asking me to turn my back on all that this world has...
iThink He's asking me to be willing to turn my back on what this world has if it gets in between me and Him.
I'm willing to do that. If things iEnjoy cause me to turn away from God, I'll gladly turn my back on them.
Just help me keep my promise God.
iDon't think iCan do it alone.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey. If i'M not mistaken you just called me boring. iThink I might take JaNonda's trendy iPod and listen to music. iGot one better iJust might use the on-flight headset and listen to the news!
    Later.

     
  • At 1:59 PM , Blogger Ven Taylor said...

    Dude... you're anything but boring.
    Just need something in case you decide to sleep on the way there.

     
  • At 3:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes this is true. You know I can time it just right. As the plane pushes away my eye lids go down.

     
  • At 11:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are very trendy, (what do I know about trendy?)but totally not a sell out. I am so excited for you and Pastor Chuck. Enjoy every inch of your trip, you both richly deserve it

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home