† in His grip

Just the musings of a guy trying to get it right. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

When to say when...

I've been thinking about that phrase lately.
Is there a point where you call it quits?

Don't freak out on me. I haven't been thinking about quitting anything.

Since Pastor Chuck asked if we wanted to take this journey with him, I've seen a lot of things... in myself, and in others.

I've been given lots of reasons to quit... I've been given lots of reasons to stay one more day.

But the question du jour is this: Is there a point when you say, "enough is enough".
Is there a point where you say, "It's not worth the work, struggle, pain, and sacrifice"?

The short-sighted would say "yes" to this.

However, Phillipians 2:5-8 tells me otherwise.
5 Think of yourselves the way Christ Jesus thought of himself. 6 He had equal status with God but didn't think so much of himself that he had to cling to the advantages of that status no matter what. 7 Not at all. When the time came, he set aside the privileges of deity and took on the status of a slave, became human! 8 Having become human, he stayed human. It was an incredibly humbling process. He didn't claim special privileges. Instead, he lived a selfless, obedient life and then died a selfless, obedient death - and the worst kind of death at that: a crucifixion.

What I read here, In a nutshell, is that Jesus never said, "it's not worth it".
His final words to His disciples were words of encouragement to continue and that He would always be with them.

So is there a point of diminished returns?
I say no.
I often think back on something Pam read to me. She was reading one of her Frank Peretti books. The end of it had two angels ascending into Heaven, but one stopped to witness someone's "coming to Jesus" moment. The angel stopped and said, "Wait... let me see this one more time".

So I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. What drives me is not the treasures in Heaven, but the chance to see one more person fall in love with Jesus.

Not because they're notches in some Heavenly belt, but instead, witnessing this wonderful event is like getting saved all over.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:11 AM , Blogger New Faith said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:41 AM , Blogger New Faith said...

    I like the version of scripture you have here. Can it be plainer? This also tells me that if we can understand our role in things we can accomplish more. Jesus knew he wasn't to show his deity but was to live in his humanity.

    In basketball I was told to understand my roll. I wasn't a starter but I was very good when I came off the bench. I didn't quit just because I didn't start. An EGO can Edge God Out (Ken Blanchard). -chuck

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home