† in His grip

Just the musings of a guy trying to get it right. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

The emergent Church... Answers


Margaret posted some questions on her blog. Instead of filling up her comments section, I figured I'd try to answer them here.

1. What do you think is the biggest reason (young) people are leaving the church?
I think th ebiggest reason is two-fold. First, I believe that we're not teaching them to have their own faith. Instead, we are trying to give them copies of our faith. A story is good, but an experience can never be taken away. Second, I believe that young people see the stark difference between what culture shows them is real and what the church tells them is real. Then they see the genuine nature of art, music, and people in culture... and choose to ignore the church. Again, our fault.

2. What do you think are the biggest concerns of our generation, secular and religious?
I kind of answered that in #1. Not necessarily just for young people, but for all people.

3. Who do you think are some people our generation holds as "heroes"? Why?
I think our generation doesn't have heroes. I know it sounds sad, but I think it's true.
In the most general sense, true heroes disappeared in the 60s & 70s. People like Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr., people that gave their lives for what they believed... they are heroes to me.
I believe there are icons that we identify, but none that we, as a group, can say are true heroes. I could say that there are heroes du jour, but their time in the spotlight is as fleeting as our attention span.

4. Why do you think the emergent churches are being successful? Are they diagnosing something that is missing in traditional churches? Are they just hitting a niche market?
As a member of an emergent church, I believe we are offering something that the more traditional churches lack... Transparency and genuine love without agenda.
We as leaders, know they're not perfect, and they know we're not perfect. We all believe we're on this exciting journey.
5. What is the role of the church in social justice?
I see the church's role in social justice is the same as any other human being. We've all been wired to recognize injustice and act. Now, just because you act out against the bad guys doesn't mean you're a good guy. How you act is just as important as whether or not you act. The enemy of my enemy is not always my friend. Revenge is not justice.

6. Should Christians be involved in protests against the government? Should protests be Church sponsored? Yes and no. See above for part 1, but I don't believe the church should sponsor them because that is not the role of the church. The church's job is to love people and be a light that shows them God's love. Not push an agenda.

7. Should Christians be in politics? And if so, should they make their Christianity public?
I think Christians belong in politics... not church leaders. We should all work within our area of gift. Margaret said that passion+calling= innovation. If God has called you, and you have a passion to lead people on a personal level, then lead them. Keep your political views out of their ears, and just show them God's love. Let God do the transforming. However, if God has given you administrative gifts and passion for leading government, then do it. Just don't tell me I should vote for you based solely on the fact that we go to the same church. If your viewpoints on how to lead this country are disagreeable to me, don't expect my vote. I also believe we should all make our Christianity public. It is nothing to be ashamed of. It's something to hold dear that you recognize God's love for not only you, but the world.

8. How should the church respond to "Christian" politicians who are revealed to be inscandals or caught out in lies? The same way we should deal with anyone caught in the same boat. Offer correction and forgiveness. And then help them along by holding them accountable.

So there you have it. My thoughts, but I think they're well-thought.

I think.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:06 AM , Blogger GreekGeek said...

    As the one in who's favour Margaret posted those questions, thank you a TON for your thoughtful responses! I've really appreciated hearing responses beyond those which my limited brain can come up with -- I can get stuck in an opinion and reading others' input helps to shape my work in a much broader, and Lord willing, much more helpful way. Thanks again!
    mariam

     
  • At 12:47 AM , Blogger Margaret Feinberg said...

    Thank you!!! I appreciate you and loved our time with you!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home