† in His grip

Just the musings of a guy trying to get it right. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Crystal clear...

Ever feel like this guy?

I don't mean Ali... I mean Sonny Liston. Yeah... the guy on his back looking up at Ali.

What was going through Liston's mind right then? Well, besides the obvious, "Man o' man... He hits hard".

Do you think Sonny was considering giving up? Imagine being on your back and looking up at the right this moment proven greatest boxer of all time. And then realizing he's the one who put you where you are... flat on your back.

I'd love to say I feel like Ali. But I sometimes feel like Sonny. I sometimes feel like giving up.
This isn't a hint for people to come to my rescue. I'm just thinking out loud.

But I do sometimes feel like giving up.
I think, "Why do I bother?"
"Does it all matter?"
"Do I matter?"
But...
Then I find moments that help me realize my efforts are not in vain.
Moments like this morning. Over coffee, eggs over medium, and toast. When I'm sharing my heart with someone who is really hearing me.
Not just waiting for me to stop talking, but truly listening.
It is moments like these that help me realize...
This is why I don't give up.
This is why I bother.
It does matter.
I do matter.
So if you find yourself in a moment like Sonny, try to remember. Yeah, it's hard sometimes, but there's a moment coming that will remind you why you keep trying.
I promise... it's coming.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:03 AM , Blogger Lori said...

    Thanks for commenting on my blog. Very encouraging post!

     
  • At 8:18 PM , Blogger Margaret Feinberg said...

    I have more Sonny days than I ever expected. Ironic, really, that his name was Sonny, sounds a lot like sunny.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home