† in His grip

Just the musings of a guy trying to get it right. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Monday, January 30, 2006

To give... Or not to give...

I took this picture with my cell phone. At night.
The "sunlight" is really the light from a streetlight.
I thought it was neat & decided to share it with you.
Did I already show you this picture?
eh... I don't care. Here it is again.

I posted my first "guest blog" entry on Pastor Chuck's blog.
It was about how giving should cost us something.

It reminds me how cavalier we can be with our charity. We think we're doing something by tossing twenty bucks here, fifty bucks there. But in the big picture, we're only doing it as long as it doesn't threaten our own personal comfort. Yeah, we could have gone out to eat with that fifty bucks, but in the grand scheme, we're gonna be, shall we say, " a'ight ".

Compare that to the guy who hands over half his sandwich to the guy next to them because that guy has nothing at all to eat. That sandwich was this guy's only meal of the day... he gave half of it away.
Yeah... I feel like a worm too.

Maybe the picture means more to me now. What we think is going on is really just an illusion. It's not daytime, it's not the sun. It's nighttime and that's a streetlight.
Am I giving or am I merely tossing away scraps.

Here's a nice tough question...
If I go to an outreach once every couple of months and help feed the less fortunate, am I helping others or am I just helping myself feel better?

1 Comments:

  • At 1:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Very good question! "Tossing away scraps"...good phrase. Something we should all think about. Here is my strategy for giving at church since I haven't started tithing. When an amount pops into my head on how much to give that week, I add $10 or $20 to that to make it a little less "comfortable". I'm hoping that in this way, I will continue to challenge myself to give more than just the "scraps". Clearly I need to challenge myself in other areas as well. I feel that my life's work in education is "God's work", and I am now teaching Sunday school. I have been praying for God to show me other ways to show random and anonymous acts of kindness. -JJ

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home