† in His grip

Just the musings of a guy trying to get it right. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve

...and all is well. It's 10pm and we've just managed to get the last boy off to bed.
They've put on quite a show that they're not interested, but I can tell they're very excited about tomorrow.
For some reason, I'm really not falling into the Christmas excitement this year.
I've been very excited about giving gifts and have tried to be meticulous about choosing each person's gift, but I'm not sure I'm excited about getting gifts this year.

What's wrong with me?

Well, Amy said I have been slacking on my blog entries, so here we go.

I wonder where this train God has put me on is going. Over the past year, I've let go of more legalistic, ritualistic, and religious notions than I thought I was capable of.
Yes, I know I just ended that sentence with a preposition. Let it go.

I've also come to the realization that it's okay for people to believe in and worship God in a different way than I do. I don't think they're going to hell.

I also have realized the power of a holy moment.
It can happen at any time.
For any reason.

I now believe that God can use anything, even something that was not intended for holiness, to inspire someone and expose them to His love. For just a moment, let go of your points of view and see this...

A man is listening to a "secular" song (say it ain't so!!!)
The words of the song inspire him to realize that God truly loves him.

Does that negate the man's experience because the song wasn't written specifically to praise God?
I think not.
Does it mean that the man didn't have an experience with God because his experience isn't what I'd consider, "Christian".

I wouldn't dare nullify someone's experience with God simply because it didn't line up with my preconceived notions of who God is and how He operates.

Maybe that's our biggest problem. For some reason, we have decided that we, ourselves, are the best source of information regarding who God is and what He's capable of.

Dangit.. another preposition.

Remember this... We do not define God. He defines us.
Just something to think about.

Merry Christmas!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Here's a test posting

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home