† in His grip

Just the musings of a guy trying to get it right. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Formulas & Bullet Points

Finally a moment to relax.  Just got the car back.  Weird… I told them it was the bearings; they said they couldn’t find anything wrong.  I told them to look again.  They said it was the bearings.
Go figure.
So I’ve come up with no formulas or bulleted lists for salvation.  Apparently, there are none.  I think Jesus would have handed it to the disciples if one existed.  If we could just break salvation down into a list of do’s and don’ts we’d be all set.
But you know… I think that’d be bad.  Because then we’d stick to the list and “earn” our salvation.  Something about that just doesn’t sit right with me.  Something inside me says we can’t earn something that’s freely given.  Maybe it’s our nature to not want to “owe” anything.  We feel we have to earn it so we can say, “I did this and now it’s mine!”.
Boy is that self-centered.  Maybe that’s not what God wanted for us.  Maybe, just maybe, God wanted us to NOT be self-centered.  You know, I think I read that somewhere.  Yeah, I’m sure of it.  I’m sure that God wants us to be centered on Him.  Man… who does God think He is?  God???  
Yeah… He does.
I think I’m glad God thinks He’s God.  I’m glad because that means I don’t have to worry about the sun rising tomorrow or worry that I’ll stop breathing in my sleep.
I’m glad I don’t have to throw my son under a bus so that some people who don’t even know me or care about me can get a chance to go to heaven.  I don’t think I’m capable of that kind of love and compassion.  If I am capable of such, I don’t see it in myself.
So anyway, I guess I’m glad there aren’t bulleted lists or formulas to salvation.  I kinda like the fact that it’s like my relationship with my wife.  It takes love and work.  Some days it’s easy, some days it’s not.  

But overall, it’s a great ride!
†Ven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home